Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 20:03 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 20:03

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 10616 [0]
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Re: Score stagnant or going down despite extremely intense prep. [#permalink]
Cdtrix303 wrote:
Background:

I took a diagnostic GRE early last year (01/2017) with minimal prep just to see how things went. Scored Q:160, V:163, AWA:5.

I'm targeting a Q:165/V:165.

Current study schedule:

I have been studying extremely rigorously (2-4 hours every weeknight, 6-8 hours every weekend day) over the past 3 months with an exam date of late July.

I went through the entire Nova bible of math (not great to be honest), have gone through all Magoosh lectures and have taken about 60 pages of notes, have done 350 V/Q questions on Magoosh, and I have just begun to go through a couple of sections of the 5 lbs book of problems by Manhattan prep.

Practice Exams:

They are going catastrophically poorly.

4/28: Manhattan Prep 1- Q:160, V:162.

5/28: Manhattan Prep 2- Q:161, V:161

6/02: ETS PowerPrep 1- Q:166 V:165

6/10: Manhattan Prep 3- Q:161, V:160

6/16 (today): Manhattan Prep 4- Q:158, V:163.

I know what people say about the ETS being the best indicator but that still doesn't mean that I should be scoring 8 points lower on Quant for the Manhattan exams and have a negative trend. It is far more likely that the Powerprep is an outlier than all 5 other exams being wrong. Furthermore, Magoosh score range has me in Q:158-163 and V:160-165, fairly congruent with the Manhattan exams.

My morale is extremely low from this. I'm virtually unchanged or WORSE compared to my cold diagnostic test, and this is after ~3 months of hard prep

Other info:

I am already taking detailed notes and understanding why I got problems wrong. I even do a deep dive if I get the problem correct but take too long or have a sloppy method of solving it. The problem is all of the problems seem so different...

My pacing can be pretty bad; some of the Manhattan prep exams can leave me way short of time at the end.

Request:
Any suggestions on what I could do in the next 45 days to change things up? I am considering looking at GMAT content as well, but I'm completely at a loss for how to handle the way forward.

Is it just not feasible to bring my score up anymore?

Studying every day for that many hours may be the problem. Can you honestly say that you are 100% focus for the entire 8 hours of study session? You need to take at least 1 to 2 days off to let your mind rest and do other things that you enjoy. This journey should be enjoyable. Good luck studying.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I think the Manhattan Prep test are a little bit harder than the real ETS prep test. So don't be discouraged, sometimes it is worth it to "try" the real test, and it might work out better than thought
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
FWIW, i took a practice test about 2.5 months after my diagnostic, and my score improved only 1 point. it might just take a bit longer for things to click.
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
Verbal Expert
28660 posts