Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:43 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:43

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33131 [7]
Given Kudos: 25178
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33131 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33131 [2]
Send PM
Re: When Einstein asserted that ―God does not throw dice,‖ he wa [#permalink]
Expert Reply
It is necessary because the universe is NECESSARY to have the order as we do know and for that reason, God does not throw the dice"

primordial is not because we are in the evolution state, continuously.

Accidental is just the opposite of necessary. The universe is in that configuration is not accidental.

It is necessary of being this way

hope this helps
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
i could not understand the meaning . kindly enlighten
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [3]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Bookmarks
When Einstein asserted that "God does not throw dice", he was not only (i)___ a common theological position that the world has an order, but also a deep intuition that the world is as it is in a (ii)____ sense. It is no (iii)_____.

Clues:

"asserted" and "god does not throw dice" - Which basically means the he is correct saying that the world has not being made by randomness.

Hence, in the first blank we can faslty eliminate "jettisoning (throw away)" and "attacking" because we have to choose something related with "accepting" and order... he was not only (i)___ a common.....that the world has an order"

Then second and third blank should be opposed ones...

So if we are choosing that wold has and order then "accidental" is out, we stay with primordial and necessary and move to the third one...

Third one should be opposed to "order" so the only option would be "accident"

Return to the second one... If the third one is "an accident", then the second one need to be something like "the world is not an accident but the way it should be..." the best option then would be "necessary"...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 221 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
GRE 1: Q160 V161

GRE 2: Q165 V159
Send PM
"When Einstein asserted that "God does not throw dice", he was not only (i)___ a common theological position that the world has an order, but also a deep intuition that the world is as it is in a (ii)____ sense. It is no (iii)_____."

Meaning- God doesn't throw dice means the world was made in a certain way and for a reason.

A- Jettisoning means dumping or dropping something. Illogical here.
B- Attacking is an opposite here. We need the word support.
C- Reflecting here means contemplating or study. Works well.
D- Accidental means chance. An opposite here since we are trying to state that the world is as it is for a reason.
E- Primordial means ancient. Illogical.
F- Necessary means obligatory or required. Works well.
G- Necessity means essential and is an opposite here since we are saying this is not an accident of sorts.
H- Accident is a perfect fit.
I- Spontaneity has an illogical meaning here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
there are no evidence for f and e, both could be oppose to h in context and support to not only...
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 918 [0]
tagedwedw wrote:
there are no evidence for f and e, both could be oppose to h in context and support to not only...

Are you saying you would pick option D?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
one of them, have no evidence which one, e or f
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Send PM
The first blank is easy, it compares Einsteins view that "God does not throw dice" and a common viewpoint that the world has order. Both agree so we choose 'reflecting'. The following blanks must support this line of thought. The world is as is not 'accidentally' because there's no chance involved, 'primordial' doesn't make sense either. So we choose necessary. Lastly the sentence says that this is no _______. Only accident fits here as per our line of thought. So we choose C,F and H
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [1]
Given Kudos: 144
Send PM
Re: When Einstein asserted that God does not throw dice, he wa [#permalink]
When Einstein asserted that "God does not throw dice", he was not only (i)___ a common theological position that the world has an order, but also a deep intuition that the world is as it is in a (ii)____ sense. It is no (iii)_____.

i. He was not arguing against, Not dumping something
ii. world has an order - He says order isnt a gods way of things- It is in such state as the laws dictate Hence it is out of necessity
iii. Should be opposite to the second blank which is accident.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
When Einstein asserted that God does not throw dice, he wa [#permalink]
FCOCGALVAN wrote:

Clues:

"asserted" and "god does not throw dice" - Which basically means the he is correct saying that the world has not being made by randomness.

Hence, in the first blank we can faslty eliminate "jettisoning (throw away)" and "attacking" because we have to choose something related with "accepting" and order... he was not only (i)___ a common.....that the world has an order"

Then second and third blank should be opposed ones...

So if we are choosing that wold has and order then "accidental" is out, we stay with primordial and necessary and move to the third one...

Third one should be opposed to "order" so the only option would be "accident"

Return to the second one... If the third one is "an accident", then the second one need to be something like "the world is not an accident but the way it should be..." the best option then would be "necessary"...

""asserted" and "god does not throw dice" - Which basically means the he is correct saying that the world has not being made by randomness.

Hence, in the first blank we can faslty eliminate "jettisoning (throw away)" and "attacking" because we have to choose something related with "accepting" and order... he was not only (i)___ a common.....that the world has an order""

Don't understand these clues, I can "assert" you are wrong or right while we do not know the common theological position. So why must we choose something related to accepting?

Please explain.

If the second blank is filled (most doubtful), the third one makes perfect sense but

if he attacked, then it makes sense that the world is evolving in a primordial sense therefore it is no accident/spontaneity as evolution is a slow sure process.

Also, who says "necessary sense".....

ONLY way I could have guessed the correct is this (CORRECT ME IF THIS IS A BAD STRATEGY)

3rd blank- spontaneity and accident are similar, as are attacking/jettisoning (less so).
Thus choosing an unrelated word makes sense if the degree of strength in synonyms is not the same.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: When Einstein asserted that God does not throw dice, he wa [#permalink]
Carcass wrote:

Blank (i) Blank (ii) Blank (iii)
jettisoning accidental necessity
attacking primordial accident
reflecting necessary spontaneity

Is it a good strategy to single out the distinct word as an answer since synonyms are likely not be answers.

eg: Spontaneity and Accident

maybe even attack and jettison (loosely meaning oppose)
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts