Last visit was: 06 May 2024, 08:00 It is currently 06 May 2024, 08:00

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33233 [0]
Given Kudos: 25197
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33233 [0]
Given Kudos: 25197
Send PM
Re: How do I actually think of arguments to be used in my essays [#permalink]
Expert Reply
DFXR wrote:
Carcass wrote:
Did you go through this Sir ??

I did - a great resource! The most relevant part was the one about "1.1 A feasible list of flaws that you could face writing the AWA", but I still find myself struggling to think of things I agree/disagree with, or the flaws to a position.

Especially so when I look through the sample topics at ETS; I know very little about city planning or art history or how to value a society or education, so I can't really take positions on things very easily at all.

Pick an AWA form ETS official AWA you think to struggle a lot and put the link here or copy and paste the prompt.

I will help you
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: How do I actually think of arguments to be used in my essays [#permalink]
Carcass wrote:
DFXR wrote:
Carcass wrote:
Did you go through this Sir ??

I did - a great resource! The most relevant part was the one about "1.1 A feasible list of flaws that you could face writing the AWA", but I still find myself struggling to think of things I agree/disagree with, or the flaws to a position.

Especially so when I look through the sample topics at ETS; I know very little about city planning or art history or how to value a society or education, so I can't really take positions on things very easily at all.

Pick an AWA form ETS official AWA you think to struggle a lot and put the link here or copy and paste the prompt.

I will help you

For an argument essay:
An ancient, traditional remedy for insomnia — the scent of lavender flowers — has now been proved effective. In a recent study, 30 volunteers with chronic insomnia slept each night for three weeks on lavender-scented pillows in a controlled room where their sleep was monitored electronically. During the first week, volunteers continued to take their usual sleeping medication. They slept soundly but wakened feeling tired. At the beginning of the second week, the volunteers discontinued their sleeping medication. During that week, they slept less soundly than the previous week and felt even more tired. During the third week, the volunteers slept longer and more soundly than in the previous two weeks. Therefore, the study proves that lavender cures insomnia within a short period of time.
Possible arguments:
-Could simply be random, as we don't know the normal course of insomnia
-Might not be long enough or wide enough study to say so conclusively
-Might be odd lingering aftereffects of the medication
-Not sure what else
None of these feel especially well defined or strong.

Issue essay:
To understand the most important characteristics of a society, one must study its major cities.
This one I have no idea how to approach, like most Issue topics. What even constitutes a major characteristic of society? What constitutes study of major cities?

The broader trouble, of course, is that any one way of thinking about these doesn't then automatically lead into any of topic. If I figure out how to think about the characteristics of major cities, that gives me little in the way of how to think about whether "[p]eople's behavior is largely determined by forces not of their own making" or other such topics.
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1032 posts