Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:03 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:03

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GRE Prep Club Team Member
Own Kudos [?]: 3246 [4]
Given Kudos: 1051
GPA: 3.39
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 837 [4]
Given Kudos: 194
GRE 1: Q167 V156
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 837 [1]
Send PM
Re: In periods when there are more qualified candidates than job [#permalink]
Hi There!

I have provided a detailed answer above. You can refer that. It it is still not clear maybe you can expain why is it B and not A for you?
Ks1859 wrote:
4. With which of the following statements would the author most likely agree?

(A) Younger workers paid less attention to benefits in the past.----Yes, the author does suggest that the youg employees now pay attention to the benefits, this could imply that they did not pay attention in the past.--Correct
(B) The amount of employee interest in benefits has wavered in recent years.---OUT
(C) Most employees are not willing to take on additional copays for most benefits.--OUT
(D) Having life and disability insurance is less important than the opportunity for advancement.---Opposite--OUT
(E) Voluntary benefits must be personalized to the ages and life stages of employees.-OUT

IMO A

Regards
S
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
In periods when there are more qualified candidates than job [#permalink]
Ks1859 wrote:
Hi There!

I have provided a detailed answer above. You can refer that. It it is still not clear maybe you can expain why is it B and not A for you?
Ks1859 wrote:
4. With which of the following statements would the author most likely agree?

(A) Younger workers paid less attention to benefits in the past.----Yes, the author does suggest that the youg employees now pay attention to the benefits, this could imply that they did not pay attention in the past.--Correct
(B) The amount of employee interest in benefits has wavered in recent years.---OUT
(C) Most employees are not willing to take on additional copays for most benefits.--OUT
(D) Having life and disability insurance is less important than the opportunity for advancement.---Opposite--OUT
(E) Voluntary benefits must be personalized to the ages and life stages of employees.-OUT

IMO A

Regards
S

you are right, i fell for trap. passage never mention about option b.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Hi , I found the first 2 sentences extremely confusing especially with the terms like myopia etc. which is used to describe how HRD perceive the employee retention case. I tried to understand the facts mentioned in the first 2 sentences, can anyone pls correct me if i am wrong?

1st sentence - When there are more qualified candidates than jobs , the HRD may focus on employee retention than daily product sales to effective succession planning
2nd sentence - Baby boomer retirements may not be as important to HRD as retaining its most talents and productive employees
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 837 [2]
Send PM
aishumurali wrote:
Hi , I found the first 2 sentences extremely confusing especially with the terms like myopia etc. which is used to describe how HRD perceive the employee retention case. I tried to understand the facts mentioned in the first 2 sentences, can anyone pls correct me if i am wrong?

1st sentence - When there are more qualified candidates than jobs , the HRD may focus on employee retention than daily product sales to effective succession planning
2nd sentence - Baby boomer retirements may not be as important to HRD as retaining its most talents and productive employees

Hi aishumurali

Your interpretation of the two sentence is correct. To delineate it.

In periods when there are more qualified candidates than job openings, human resource departments may develop employee retention myopia, discounting {the effect of their shortsightedness}-myopia on everything from daily product sales to effective succession planning(These are just some other things HRD should have focused but they discounted it with employee retention). In addition(Indicates that the author is enforcing the same thing as he did in the previous sentence), despite conflicting evidence about whether demographic trends related to baby boomer retirements may or may not constitute a code red, every human resource department does face a potential threat from that phenomenon, and should continue to focus sharply on the retention of its most talented and productive employees.

So, to summarize- ^Qualified candidates than job openings--HRD focuses on Employee retention(short sightedness) than focusing on other succession plans. Although there are contrary evidence, the author considers, and enforces that the HRD should continue to focus on retention of the prod & talented employees.

Hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi Ks1859 i have been working on passages since a long time but cannot see an increase in accuracy . I have been solving more than 3 passages a day , but i either end up getting overwhelmed with the infotmation in the passage and go on to make lot of silly mistakes . How can this be improved and avoided?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 837 [3]
Send PM
Bookmarks
aishumurali wrote:
Hi Ks1859 i have been working on passages since a long time but cannot see an increase in accuracy . I have been solving more than 3 passages a day , but i either end up getting overwhelmed with the infotmation in the passage and go on to make lot of silly mistakes . How can this be improved and avoided?

Hey There!

Okay to list some articles you can refer to- https://gre.myprepclub.com/forum/how-to-sc ... 23624.html

And I found this somewhere-
Attachment:
daily revision.docx [26.75 KiB]
Downloaded 67 times

https://gre.myprepclub.com/forum/how-to-st ... .html#p221

Few things that I follow:
a. Go slow on rcs, especially in the start of each paragraph and at the end but, read everything.
b. Following one helps you to solve the questions quickly and save time to solve.
c. Read difficult articles, this will accustom your brain to read convulted rcs as reading another article. You can find them here- https://gre.myprepclub.com/forum/gre-daily ... 23310.html
d. IT does not matter how many rcs you solve, knowing what silly mistakes did you make is crucial. Like in quants if we use a wrong formula we note it somewhere not forget it the next time. Similarly, do it for rc. For eg. For inference question, try to avoid option should with extreme words until and unless you see that the author is supporting it.
e. Know the question types: Main idea, primary purpose, central idea, inference, assumption, detail are a few of the types. When you read a question it takes hardly a second to distinguish. If it is a detailed question go back to the passage trace the line and answer. You can find more here-https://gre.myprepclub.com/forum/gre-verbal-section-question-type-breakdown-30.html#p36
f. Summarize every passage irrespective of whether you see a main idea or a role question.
g. Do not get stuck on a question which you are unsure about- If you are not very sure between some option choice are not able to find your way out select any option choice move forward and save time this might help you to save time for those questions which you can surely answer.

These are the things that I follow. Although I am not a professional but these are the common points I found. You can create a your own strategy. One shoe doesn't fit all so try writing your mistakes in notes know its best use here- https://gre.myprepclub.com/forum/feature-o ... 23768.html

Let me know if I can help you further

Hope this helps!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [1]
Send PM
aishumurali wrote:

hi there, i am not expert but i can relate your problem because just couple of weeks ago i was in same situation.
i followed some method it might help you,
1. try to solve passage with easy difficulty level and medium size passage, once you get comfortable increase difficulty level but same passage size.
2. Just reflect upon the method which use for solving rc passage. Method used in rc passage have significant effect and try to stick with one method which is most comfortable to you.
3.This might be harsh but it will take time and hard work to reach the goal.
4. Try to solve gmat critical reasoning question it will help with your rc question, it help me alot in increasing rc accuracy.
try to solve many example as much as possible to get desire result. Good Luck.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi void can you help me with some gmat passages , which i can refer and solve?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
aishumurali wrote:
Hi void can you help me with some gmat passages , which i can refer and solve?

join gmat prep club. that site will provide you abundant number of practice passage. 3 passage a day won't help you, if your accuracy is about 55%. You will need to solve more passage. Join gmatprepclub, then rc by difficult level sub-600 and after getting comfortable move to next difficulty level 600-700 , this section will take time3 lots of time is required to get comfortable and then you can shoot for 700+ difficulty level. The problem with 700+ difficulty level not everyone can be comfortable in this section. You have to spend more time on it than what you have assigned.
Sometime even after practice people stuck in 600-700 difficulty level. I don't know you suffer from switching aback to gre passage from gmat passage it take some time to get comfortable in gre passage. And gre passage language bit on difficult compared to gmat rc.
For reading techniques you can use gregmatt youtube channel. Currently i am using his techniques and it help me to boost my accuracy.
Good luck.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2118 [1]
Given Kudos: 140
GRE 1: Q168 V157

GRE 2: Q167 V161
Send PM
Hey,

Although I am not an expert and Carcass will surely agree to :D , let me give you my part of advice ;)

1) Try solving 4-5 passages a day. But make sure that you spend around 20mins on analysis after solving for why you got wrong and why you got one correct. BOTH

2) Solve passages from Here I would suggest solving the RCs from this forum. You will get an idea of how the questions are asked in the actual GRE. OG BigBook RCs are awesome.

And follow Ks1859 's advice. Feel free to ask any doubts.

Regards,
R

aishumurali wrote:
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33099 [0]
Given Kudos: 25173
Send PM
Expert Reply
rx10 wrote:
Hey,

Although I am not an expert and Carcass will surely agree to :D , let me give you my part of advice ;)

1) Try solving 4-5 passages a day. But make sure that you spend around 20mins on analysis after solving for why you got wrong and why you got one correct. BOTH

2) Solve passages from Here I would suggest solving the RCs from this forum. You will get an idea of how the questions are asked in the actual GRE. OG BigBook RCs are awesome.

And follow Ks1859 's advice. Feel free to ask any doubts.

Regards,
R

aishumurali wrote:

if you are a lead moderator ...you are surely expert in something :D :lol: :cool:
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Guys

this is something to follow

How to score BETTER on the GRE Reading Passages - The challenge

https://gre.myprepclub.com/forum/how-to-sc ... 23624.html
Manager
Manager
Send PM
void you mean the greg mat youtube channel right?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Is there also a way to tackle main purpose of the passage questions?
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
aishumurali wrote:
Is there also a way to tackle main purpose of the passage questions?

Look here https://gre.myprepclub.com/forum/how-to-sc ... 23624.html

the downloaded file has inside a file to tackle specifically the main idea plus others
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts