Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:38 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:38

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33116 [3]
Given Kudos: 25175
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 918 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [2]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [0]
Send PM
Re: Last summer one out of every five teen-agers who sought empl [#permalink]
One every 5 teenagers is a small proportion, it's smaller than a quarter. A states that the jobs were inaccessible to the high proportion of the teenagers living in the cities. Doesn't it make this option ambiguous, since we don't know how many teenagers live in the city as a total compared to teenagers living elsewhere? Nothing is mentioned about cities either in the argument.

I chose D because first, it specifies a small percentage (which I thought was commensurate to a small proportion) and second, it mentions the reason why they failed to find a job.

Can someone clarify where I misinterpreted the options, or the question, for that matter?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Hi,
I would review the two answer candidates as below:

(A) Most summer jobs are located in suburban areas that are inaccessible to the high proportion of teenagers who live in cities.
Since most jobs are located in suburban areas, it would be difficult for a teenager to commute daily from a city. Since this is an impediment, the teenager would not take up the job. This would help explain why unemployment was high.

(D) A small percentage of teenagers either attend summer school or go away to camp and thus have no time for a job.
If a teenager is attending a summer school or a camp, he/she will not be looking for employment. The passage states "one out of every five teenagers who sought employment failed to find it". For this reason, I would eliminate option D.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 220 [1]
Given Kudos: 41
GRE 1: Q160 V161

GRE 2: Q165 V159
Send PM
Zohair123 wrote:
One every 5 teenagers is a small proportion, it's smaller than a quarter. A states that the jobs were inaccessible to the high proportion of the teenagers living in the cities. Doesn't it make this option ambiguous, since we don't know how many teenagers live in the city as a total compared to teenagers living elsewhere? Nothing is mentioned about cities either in the argument.

I chose D because first, it specifies a small percentage (which I thought was commensurate to a small proportion) and second, it mentions the reason why they failed to find a job.

Can someone clarify where I misinterpreted the options, or the question, for that matter?

I think you assumed incorrectly here. 1/5 is a ratio that's given to us. It's your assumption that 1/5 OF something is small. Since we aren't told OF what we can't assume this is a small or big percentage. In fact, I'd wager that the paradox highlighted in the passage points to this being a considerable number.

In regards to D, a small percentage doesn't really impact the paradox. We need to resolve or explain this. A small percentage still means the majority of students were out of jobs.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 220 [1]
Given Kudos: 41
GRE 1: Q160 V161

GRE 2: Q165 V159
Send PM
The paradox is that 1/5 teens couldn't find a job, at a time when employers were searching for teens to fill summer job positions.

A- If areas of job posting and candidates are different then this explains the paradox. Moreover, most hints that majority of jobs are in this way.
B- Some can mean at least one, so this doesn't explain/resolve the paradox. Incorrect.
C- Has no bearing on the paradox.
D- Small percentage does not resolve the paradox because this means majority of the students are still w/out a job.
E- This actually increases the paradox.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Carcass wrote:
Last summer one out of every five teenagers who sought employment failed to find it. This is hard to understand since during this same time employers were searching for teen-agers to fill an abundance of summer jobs. Many employers had been offering good pay and, in some cases, medical benefits.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain why teenage unemployment was high when there were many job openings?

(A) Most summer jobs are located in suburban areas that are inaccessible to the high proportion of teenagers who live in cities.
(B) During the summer, some teen-agers continue to work at jobs that they have held during the school year.
(C) Many summer jobs offer training that will help the teen-ager secure a full-time position after graduation.
(D) A small percentage of teen-agers either attend summer school or go away to camp and thus have no time for a job.
(E) Many state programs that have been developed to help teen-agers find summer employment have recently had their budgets increased.

Kudos for the right answer and explanation
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts