Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:23 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:23

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 173 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2118 [2]
Given Kudos: 140
GRE 1: Q168 V157

GRE 2: Q167 V161
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 837 [1]
Given Kudos: 194
GRE 1: Q167 V156
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: My unending journey with the GRE [#permalink]
Asmakan wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I need to expose myself to harder questions, not basic concepts, and get the shortcuts. I already read the Math book .

Hi There!

I hope you achieve your desired score soon!

As for solving difficult questions, GRE is not about knowing how to solve difficult questions, it is about knowing simple methods and formula which can aid you to solve the most difficult questions. So, I would suggest you to know a concept in and out (so much that even if you are half asleep and someone asks you to solve a question you must know how to do it, dedicate that much of your focus for the base and voila the rest would be easy).

For verbal, I believe you have exhausted "most good" resources, as you are already half way down eliminating all the other option try to analyse why did you choose the wrong one at the end take 10-15 mins for each question, re-read the para, the stem if it is something you do most of the time write it down and then try, create a mind map.

Hope this helps!

Regards
s
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33099 [1]
Given Kudos: 25173
Send PM
My unending journey with the GRE [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Bookmarks
Asmakan wrote:
This post isn't a post about someone who scored his targeted score, but for a person who is struggling for around 2 years to reach her goal which is Q 165+ and Verbal 158+.

I am a dedicated person who studied an average of 1.30 hours a day for two years but did not overcome the GRE hell.
I tried different approaches in Quant and Verbal, my improvement is modest. For Quant, I jumped from 158 to 160 and verbal form, 142 to 146.
I feel down because in verbal I always eliminate until I am with two answer choices and end up choosing the wrong answer.
I struggle with the time
I struggle with accuracy
I struggle with strategy
I struggle with shortcuts
I struggle with language
I started with everyone telling me I don't need a tutor but that was the worse advice to me alone I couldn't move forward.
I joined Gregmat and understand his approaches in verbal but I couldn't apply them Well. So, the maximum I could reach is 146. My weakness was obviously with strategy and I joined him in his beginnings so he was tailoring his ways but anyway, I learned a lot. In Quant, he isn't that helpful, so I joined Target Test prep, and looking forward to improving.
I am trying now Manhattan and I am willing to improve.

Although I feel sometimes that I am in a black and deep hole, I have a hope that I will reach my goal. Although I cry sometimes when I get a punch of problems wrong, but I keep trying.

I hope my efforts pay off.

I will spend my two cents

On one hand I am sorry of your dedication nd at the same time poor improvements.
On the other hand I feel disappointed because we do have all the tools to address all the problems above. I spent countless hours to create those contents, I am assuming wrongly perhaps, nobody reads

I struggle with the time

This is directly proportional to your lack of confidence/skills/concepts management

read this https://gre.myprepclub.com/forum/gre-time- ... tml#p57077

I struggle with accuracy

read this https://gre.myprepclub.com/forum/five-ways ... tml#p72011

I struggle with strategy - lack of fundamentals

read these
GRE Math Essentials for a TOP Quant Score - Q170!!! (2021)
GRE Geometry Formulas for a Q170

From here https://gre.myprepclub.com/forum/gre-tips- ... tml#p72008

see links above

I struggle with language

This is not an issue easy to address because could depend on OR your not understanding of the wording of the stem see this https://gre.myprepclub.com/forum/gre-math- ... 24952.html or your poor English language Skills as a whole

Read also my introduction to RC (I do not know whoever reads that) https://gre.myprepclub.com/forum/gre-readi ... 20658.html

It will explain WHY you score poorly in RC but is also valid for the entire test

Hope this helps

Regards
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Ks1859 wrote:
Asmakan wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I need to expose myself to harder questions, not basic concepts, and get the shortcuts. I already read the Math book .

Hi There!

I hope you achieve your desired score soon!

As for solving difficult questions, GRE is not about knowing how to solve difficult questions, it is about knowing simple methods and formula which can aid you to solve the most difficult questions. So, I would suggest you to know a concept in and out (so much that even if you are half asleep and someone asks you to solve a question you must know how to do it, dedicate that much of your focus for the base and voila the rest would be easy).

For verbal, I believe you have exhausted "most good" resources, as you are already halfway down eliminating all the other options try to analyze why did you choose the wrong one at the end take 10-15 mins for each question, re-read the para, the stem if it is something you do most of the time write it down and then try, create a mind map.

Hope this helps!

Regards
s

My question is that when I revise my mistakes or the problems that I took too long .. I discover it was a silly mistake not a concept that I am not familiar with. So, do that still indicate the I lack something in the foundation ?

The question is also to Carcass
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33099 [0]
Given Kudos: 25173
Send PM
Expert Reply
Yes definitely

here is your one-stop solution sir https://gre.myprepclub.com/forum/gre-math- ... 24951.html and here https://gre.myprepclub.com/forum/gre-tips- ... 23084.html

Ask for further assistance
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5260 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Expert Reply
Asmakan wrote:
This post isn't a post about someone who scored his targeted score, but for a person who is struggling for around 2 years to reach her goal which is Q 165+ and Verbal 158+.

I am a dedicated person who studied an average of 1.30 hours a day for two years but did not overcome the GRE hell.
I tried different approaches in Quant and Verbal, my improvement is modest. For Quant, I jumped from 158 to 160 and verbal form, 142 to 146.
I feel down because in verbal I always eliminate until I am with two answer choices and end up choosing the wrong answer.
I struggle with the time
I struggle with accuracy
I struggle with strategy
I struggle with language
I started with everyone telling me I don't need a tutor but that was the worse advice to me alone I couldn't move forward.
I joined Gregmat and understand his approaches in verbal but I couldn't apply them Well. So, the maximum I could reach is 146. My weakness was obviously with strategy and I joined him in his beginnings so he was tailoring his ways but anyway, I learned a lot. In Quant, he isn't that helpful, so I joined Target Test prep, and looking forward to improving.
I am trying now Manhattan and I am willing to improve.

Although I feel sometimes that I am in a black and deep hole, I have a hope that I will reach my goal. Although I cry sometimes when I get a punch of problems wrong, but I keep trying.

I hope my efforts pay off.

I'm so thrilled to hear that you are using TTP! How are things coming along so far?
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
Retired Moderator
6218 posts