Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:44 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:44

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33133 [1]
Given Kudos: 25178
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33133 [0]
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Re: If my colleagues and I are right, we may soon be saying good-bye to th [#permalink]
Expert Reply
QUESTION #3

A Rather than dealing with one answer at a time, start by looking at the first statement of each answer. They are all the same, and they are accurate: The first paragraph introduces the recent theory of inflation. Next, look at the second statement of each answer. Choices (A) and (B) work best: The beginning of the second paragraph explains that the inflation theory was developed to address complications arising from the big bang theory. Choice (C) is wrong because the authors did not say that the big bang theory was discarded, (D) is wrong because no supporting evidence is provided, and (E) is wrong because the authors do not discuss criticism of the inflation theory. Finally, look at the last statement in (A) and (B). Choice (A) is correct because the remainder of the passage describes the big bang theory and shortcomings of that theory. Choice (B) is too strong; the authors seek to supplement, not discard, the big bang theory.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
If my colleagues and I are right, we may soon be saying good-bye to th [#permalink]
For question 1, the following sentence of the passage seems to undermine the correct answer choice as B.

“ At the end of this period, the universe continued its evolution ACCORDING to the big bang model. ”

Furthermore, the answer seems to be too narrow in scope and too extreme. The “complications “ from the theory came about after it was coupled with another theory- the modern theory of elementary particles.

“ For example, the standard big bang theory, coupled with the modern theory of elementary particles, predicts the existence of many super-heavy particles carrying magnetic charge—that is, objects that have only one magnetic pole.”

B. Because the big bang theory cannot account for the actual state of the universe, it is possible that the universe actually evolved through inflation.

Posted from my mobile device
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts